Follow us for
more of what
Follow us on PinterestFollow us on Pinterest
Effective Date: March 2011
Welcome to homegoods.com (the "Website"), the website for HomeGoods, a division of The TJX Companies, Inc. ("TJX"). TJX, T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, and other affiliates are the "TJX Businesses." This Privacy Notice describes the types of personal information we collect about our customers on our Website, in our stores and through interest-based online advertising. The Privacy Notice also describes how we may use that information, how we protect that information, how we share that information, your choices and options regarding the information, and how you can contact us regarding our privacy practices.
Information We Collect
When you shop with us, we may collect the following personal information in connection with your transaction:
- If you pay by credit or debit card, you provide us with your account information.
- If you pay by check, you provide us with your checking account information, including your name, address, phone number, checking account number, bank routing number, driver's license number and, in some instances, date of birth.
- If you make a purchase at one of our stores, you may provide us with other personal information such as your phone number or zip code.
- If you request that we place item(s) on layaway on your behalf, you provide us with your name, address and phone number.
- If you return merchandise or request a refund or exchange, in some instances, we may request your name, address and some form of identification (e.g., driver's license, military identification or state-issued picture identification).
We also may collect personal information from you (including your name, e-mail address, postal address, telephone number, date of birth and other personal information you provide) in the following circumstances, including when you:
- E-mail or send postal mail to us.
- E-mail or send postal mail to our service providers relating to an issue where they need to contact us.
- Call customer service.
- Sign up on our Website to receive e-mail.
- Create an online account with us.
- Enroll in a loyalty or other reward program.
- Apply for the TJX Rewards™ Card.
- Participate in our online community blogs or forums.
- Enter our sweepstakes, contests or other promotions.
- Participate in customer research.
- Post photos, stories or other information to our Website.
Additionally, like many retailers, we or companies acting on our behalf may collect certain computer and browser information through automated technologies such as cookies and web beacons when you visit our Website. A "cookie" is a file that a website sends to a visitor's computer or other Internet-connected device to identify the browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A "web beacon," also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server.
Interest-Based Online Advertising
This section of our Privacy Notice provides details about interest-based online advertising (also called "targeted advertising" or "behavioral advertising"), and your choices with respect to this type of advertising.
We work with companies that collect information about your online activities to provide advertising targeted to suit your interests and preferences. For example, you may see certain ads on other websites because we contract with a company called Turn to target our ads based on information Turn has collected, including information that was collected through automated means (such as cookies and web beacons). Turn also uses automated technologies to collect information when you click on our ads, which helps track and manage the effectiveness of our marketing efforts. To learn more about Turn, including how to opt out of its collection of information for this purpose, click here. Please note that opting out from such data collection by Turn does not necessarily mean you will not be served an ad for HomeGoods, and it does not prevent you from receiving e-mail or postal mail from HomeGoods or having cookies collected from our Website by entities other than Turn. To learn more about your options with respect to those practices, click here.
How We Use the Information We Collect
When we collect information from you, we may use it for a number of purposes, including to:
- Process, manage, complete and account for transactions, including purchases and refund, exchange and layaway requests;
- Fulfill your gift card orders;
- Identify your product and service preferences so that we can notify you of new or additional products, services, features, promotions or events and special offerings relating to the TJX Businesses that might be of interest to you;
- Improve merchandise selections and customer service;
- Invite you to participate in customer research;
- Notify you about new products, services, features, promotions, events and special offerings relating to the TJX Businesses we think you will find valuable;
- Respond to your comments and inquiries;
- Administer your participation in promotions, contests and sweepstakes;
- Assist with the processing of your TJX Rewards™ Card application;
- Measure and manage the advertising effectiveness of our online and other advertisements and events;
- Help us understand Website activity and improve your use of our Website;
- Help us prevent fraud, unauthorized activity, claims and other liabilities and minimize credit risk;
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services, managing our communications, performing market research, and administering our Website).
In order for us to maintain the accuracy of your personal information and improve our communication with you, we may also combine the information we collect with other public demographic information.
With Whom We Share Your Information
We may share your personal information among the TJX Businesses (which are affiliates owned by TJX, including T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, Winners, HomeSense, and T.K. Maxx). They may use this information to offer products and services to you consistent with the purposes identified in this statement. Your information may also be transferred as an asset in connection with a merger or sale (including any transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of the TJX Businesses or as part of a corporate reorganization, stock sale or other change in corporate control.
If a contest, sweepstakes or promotion is jointly sponsored by us and one or more other sponsors, your information may be shared with such sponsors. We do not control other sponsors' use of your personal information, and their use of your information will be in accordance with their own privacy policies. If you do not wish for your information to be shared in this manner, you may opt not to participate in such jointly sponsored contests, sweepstakes or promotions. Such promotions may also be subject to additional rules and regulations governing your participation.
We may also share certain personal information we collect about you with partners or third parties who perform services for us or with whom we contract for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice. For example, we may use third parties to host our Website, operate certain of its features, send e-mails, print or send mailings, run our sweepstakes, contests or other promotions, conduct customer research, authorize and process your payments, manage and analyze data and our advertising effectiveness, and fulfill gift card orders. Such third-party service providers are given the information that they need to perform their designated functions and we do not authorize them to use or disclose your personal information for their own or any others' marketing purposes.
We do not seek nor will we knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13.
Our Website may provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. These linked websites operate independently from TJX and may have their own privacy notices or policies. Other linked websites may be owned or controlled by TJX but have privacy policies that differ from this one. To the extent any linked websites you visit are not owned or controlled by TJX, we are not responsible for the websites' content, any use of the websites, or the privacy practices of the websites. We suggest you review the privacy policies of any linked websites you visit.
How We Protect Your Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of your personal information.
To update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists or submit a request, you may contact us as described in the Contact Information section. You also may use the following options:
Opt-Out From E-mail and/or Postal Mail
You can opt-out of receiving promotional e-mail and/or postal mail from us by doing the following:
- If you originally signed up for HomeGoods e-mail, you can opt-out from that e-mail by returning to the e-mail sign-up page, and clicking on the "unsubscribe" link. You then must enter your e-mail address and click the "Submit" button. Please be sure to enter the same e-mail address you provided when you signed up, otherwise it may not be possible to comply with your request.
- If you have received an e-mail from HomeGoods, you can opt-out from receiving further e-mails by following the opt-out or "unsubscribe" instructions provided in the e-mail you received.
- Contact Customer Service, Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) at the toll-free number 1-800-926-6299 if you do not want to receive promotional e-mail and/or postal mail communications from us in the future. Please specify if you would like to opt out of e-mail, or postal mail, or both. If you have already received communications from us, it will expedite the opt-out process if you are prepared to provide us with the exact name, and e-mail and/or postal mail addresses under which you have been receiving communications from us.
Please note that any opt-out for postal mail may take at least sixty (60) days to become effective. Also, you may still receive e-mail or postal mail from other members of the TJX Businesses if they received your e-mail or postal address from other sources or as a result of their own transactions or experiences with you, or if you request to hear from us again.
Opt-Out From and/or Restrict Cookies
Your web browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies and how to restrict, reject or disable certain cookies. Additionally, you may opt-out of data collection from the particular companies that we use to collect information from users of our Website. We use a company called Turn to collect and analyze information about the use of our Website, and Turn may combine the information they collect from our Website with other information they have collected to provide us with information about our Website visitors. To learn more about Turn's collection and analysis of information by automated means, including how to opt out, click here. We also use other companies, such as Omniture and Atlas Solutions, to collect and analyze information about the use of our Website. To learn more about Omniture's collection and analysis of information by automated means, including how to opt out, click here. To learn more about Atlas Solutions' collection and analysis of information by automated means, including how to opt out, click here.
Notice to California Residents
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law provides that you be given the opportunity to opt out of our sharing your personal information with third parties that would use such personal information for their own direct marketing. Absent such an opt-out, we may share your information with other TJX Businesses (which are affiliates owned by TJX, including T.J. Maxx and Marshalls), to provide you with information about their products, services or promotions that we think may be of interest to you. Accordingly, per California law, we provide a way for you to opt out if you do not want us to share your information in this manner.
California residents can opt out of our sharing your information as described above by contacting Customer Service, Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) at the following toll-free number: 1-800-926-6299, and requesting that you would like to opt out from receiving all marketing communications from HomeGoods and all other TJX Businesses. If you have already received communications from us, it will expedite the opt-out process if you are prepared to provide us with the exact name, and e-mail and/or postal mail addresses under which you have been receiving communications from us. Please note that it may take us up to 30 days to fully process your opt-out request.
To review our complete Privacy Notice, please click here.
If you have questions regarding our Privacy Notice, or if you wish to update the personal information you have provided to us, you may do so by:
- Writing to us at the following address:
770 Cochituate Road
Framingham, MA 01701
Attn: Customer Service - Privacy Notice
- Calling customer service Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) at the following toll-free number: 1-800-926-6299
Changes to Our Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our information practices. We will post a prominent notice on the site to notify you of any significant changes to our Privacy Notice and indicate when it was most recently updated.