5 Tips to Upgrade Your Outdoors
May 13, 2021
by HG Guest
Who’s ready for an outdoor refresh? I know I am! David Quarles, Interior Designer and HomeGoods Style Expert, here to give you a little outdoor inspiration and show you how I revamped my backyard with some HomeGoods magic! Hope you enjoy my tips below and I can’t wait to see how you spice up your space for spring!
1. Define Your Space: Don’t let large, outdoor spaces intimidate you when it comes to furniture placement. A good starting point for defining a space is to start with an outdoor rug. Choose a size that is appropriate for the furniture and/or space and build from there! And if you’re tight on space, but still want to create a defined outdoor area, try looking for a rattan or wicker bistro set from HomeGoods.
2. Set Your Table: Set the scene with a textured, weather-resistant table runner and upgraded cookout tableware. Consider replacing paper and Styrofoam with reusable plates, cups, bowls and more. HomeGoods is my go-to for durable dishware, from melamine to acrylic to bamboo, there’s a wide selection of high-quality options that come in so many summery colors and designs.
3. Mix and Match: Swap out some (or all) of the matching chairs in a dining set with more unique options that speak to your personal style. If swapping furniture isn’t your thing, incorporate a variety of durable outdoor pillows and/or blankets.
4. Incorporate Stylish Storage & Flexible Pieces: Add weather-resistant seagrass baskets – like this hand-woven basket that I found at HomeGoods for less than $60 – it’s a stylish and functional way to store your outdoor textiles when not in use. If outdoor space is limited, foldable bar carts are an ideal space-saving option for everything from outdoor cocktails to a work from outside set-up on your patio or balcony. The best part? It can be easily folded and stored away in between uses.
5. Plus-Up with Personality: Spruce up the space by adding greenery; weather-proof, tiered planters in bold and bright colors add visual interest to your space. Add more flair with small, outdoor stools, whether you use them for extra seating or an additional surface for a cocktail or small plate. HomeGoods is my favorite place to find an incredible selection of planters and stools in different sizes, materials and price points!
David Quarles IV is a HomeGoods Style Expert and an Interior Stylist and Designer for his brand Concept 417. “Your home should bring you joy” is David’s design philosophy, and to discover his signature use of color, texture, and plant life, David likes to source from HomeGoods to find those one-of-a-kind pieces that you can layer in to make any space feel like home
Get on the list
Sign up for email to get fresh inspiration & the latest news right to your inbox.**