Fall Refresh for Less with Beth Diana Smith
September 14, 2020
by HG Guest
Hi fellow HomeGoods lovers! Interior designer, Beth Diana Smith here! As fall approaches and with the extra time spent at home these past few months, many of us (myself included) are itching to refresh our homes, but don’t want to break the bank. Especially people like me who are perpetual refreshers because they love all things design so much. Who’s with me?!
Naturally, I found myself at HomeGoods feeling inspired to refresh my living room just for Fall (hello cozy nights). I love how small changes can have a big impact! Take a look around my living room and I hope you enjoy my tips when refreshing your space for fall.
1. Replace traditional furniture staples with fun, statement pieces: A bench is an easy way to change up the dynamic of your space and may be less expensive than a regular table. I found this unique, textured bench with fringe details that I just couldn’t leave behind. I styled it with a metallic bowl, navy decorative box and wood stilted candle.
2. Spice up your bar cart! Gear up for fall by swapping out those glasses and drink tumblers for coffee mugs and add a wicker basket to hold your wine – it’s great for storage and easy transportation! For extra height, adorn your cart with decorative accessories like polka-dot patterned vases or a brightly colored candlestick (this one was just $16.99!) to create a cozy corner for wine nights.
3. Play around with color… it’s your best friend! There are so many ways you can introduce color into your space, and I recommend starting with decorative accessories. I spruced up my media stand with blue, orange and yellow ceramic vases, a purple geode rock and a bronze spiked decorative accent – all from HomeGoods. P.S. When arranging accessories, focus on levels by placing items on decorative boxes or books to add height.
4. Flaunt extra throw blankets rather than storing them! Layer throws (maybe even on a wooden ladder) to add texture and color to your space. I found an amazing variety of throws – plush velvet, chunky knits, striped and more – at HomeGoods for under $25… can’t beat that! Plus, you can rotate per season!
5. Give in to the bigger statement furniture! While simple swaps are key to refreshing a space, adding one new furniture piece, like a special blue velvet chair, will help anchor the room and serve as a focal point for your new décor.
If you couldn’t already tell, my motto is “more is more” and I am self-proclaimed maximalist. I hope you’ll follow my lead and branch out of your style and score some new fall HomeGoods Finds!
Beth Diana Smith is a renowned interior designer and owner of Beth Diana Smith Interior Designs based in New Jersey. Her work has been featured in Harper’s Bazaar, The Cut, MyDomaine, Better Homes & Gardens and more!
Get on the list
Sign up for email to get fresh inspiration & the latest news right to your inbox.**