Photo by Cathy (on Customer Finds)
Whether you have bare floors or a neutral carpet, you can add personality and color to any space with the addition of an area rug.
Here are a few of my top tips when decorating with area rugs:
1. Define or separate the space by making an area rug the focal point.
2. Tie a room together through a rug’s pattern and color.
3. Be bold and add a pop of color or unique pattern on the floor.
4. Keep in mind the shape of the room and size of the furniture.
5. Avoid a tripping hazard and use a low pile in a high traffic area.
6. Go seasonal and change your rugs for fall/winter and spring/summer.
7. Give a room an instant update with a new rug, throw and pillows.
Now check out some photos from customers, designers and other bloggers to get ideas for dressing your floor with personality and color.
Liven up Your Living Area
The beauty of this room from Hi Sugarplum is that everything doesn’t have to match to enjoy a pulled together, fun and colorful room.
Find a rug you love and start there. Grab colors for your walls and furniture, and then find one accent color to give your room that pop of interest. This rug from Birds of a Feather Design pops perfectly.
Mix and match neutrals in a small space, like Alison shared on Customer Finds, and add a basic pattern on the floor to make a room appear larger. Remember to leave some space between the edge of your rug and the walls.
Beautify Your Bedroom
This cozy bedroom corner, photographed by Decorchick, is warmed with a rug, throw and pillows. The perfectly sized rug sets the space apart from the rest of the room.
The simple mix of basic pattern with neutral grays by Dear Lillie gives this room a feel of elegance. Don’t you just love the mirrored chest of drawers?
Royal blue and orange together are so inviting in this kids room. K. Pearson Brown shared her HomeGoods Customer Finds and again, the mix of basic shapes work very well with each other.
Dress up Your Dining Area
The eclectic mix of pattern, shapes and color in this dining area from Garden of Edlen are just plain fun! Notice how the designer keeps most of the room clean and simple to enhance the powerful impact made by the choice of art.
In contrast to the room from Garden of Edlen, this dining space featured on House to Home has more going on with the table, chairs and rug, while keeping everything else blended and basic.
Here are a few photos of my home and the rules I follow:
1. When using more than one area rug in a space, keep the color family the same, but use different sizes. If one has a busy pattern, keep the other muted and simple.
2. Enjoy mixing plaids or stripes with a more elaborate rug, but make sure the colors blend well.
3. Use what you love! It’s your space! Enjoy what makes you happy!
You might also like:
- Merry & Bright~ Christmas Living Room Decor Ideas
- 10 Designer Decor Hacks: Holiday Place Settings
- A Warm and Welcoming Friendsgiving