Photo by House Beautiful
Now that you have found your first apartment out of college, it can be a little overwhelming. Turning your apartment into a home will take time and money. Instead of breaking your budget, shop smart, make a floor plan and slowly find furniture and accessories that you love.
1. Make your furniture work hard for you. Find furniture that serves a dual purpose.
Poufs, like these featured on Elle Decor, function as extra seating, a coffee table (just add a tray) or foot rest.
A secretary desk is one of my favorite pieces of furniture. In addition to a desk and storage, this one from House Beautiful holds stylish bar essentials.
2. Use area rugs to define function in a room.
Use two smaller rugs, like in this room from Window Works, instead of one large rug.
3. Splurge on towels and bed sheets.
Anything that touches your skin should feel luxurious. Don’t these towels from Better Homes and Gardens look so comfortable?
4. You’ll need more than one source of light in a room.
Upgrade your apartment’s original overhead light fixture. Or you can find lamps in your favorite style and color, like the ones on this desk from Harper’s Bazaar, for task lighting.
5. Don’t be afraid to mix and match seating.
I like how Kristina Wolf Design played with different colors, shapes and styles of seating in this dining room.
6. Use mirrors to reflect light.
The mirror in this room from Country Living helps open up the space.
7. Curtains and shades on windows will help your room look finished.
The window decor from Cupcakes for Breakfast helps make her room look grown-up!
Remember to have fun and add your personal style. Before you know it, you’ll be entertaining friends in your first apartment with sophisticated decor.
You might also like:
- Multipurpose Linen Closet Organization
- Take Care of You: 10 Self-Care Tips for the New Year
- Stylish Storage Tips for your Laundry or Mudroom