See Reader's Favorites
Follow us on PinterestFollow us on Pinterest
April 28, 2015
Photo by Your Home Only Better
Do you bring home souvenirs from vacation? I vacationed in the Florida Keys for spring break last week, and decided to bring back something I can share with everyone: coastal decor inspiration! But I didn’t want to stop there, I found a way to bring back the ideas from Key West architecture into my home with a quick trip to HomeGoods. It’s a great way to extend your trip!
Key West Architectural Inspiration
Most homes had an abundance of greenery out front. I assumed that was for shade, and perhaps a bit of privacy from tourists as well.
Whites and blues were the dominant hues of choice. I also noticed natural wood mixed in.
White picket fences run standard in Key West, and I saw a lot of gingerbread elements in the porch detail (in this case they were cut out as literal gingerbread men!).
Container plants and hanging baskets were quite common — wouldn’t you like to sit here and watch the tourists drive by?
There were many dramatic porches on the main floor and above. Great for enjoying the trade winds.
How to Recreate the Vacation Look at Home
I wasn’t quite ready for vacation to be over, so I tried to imagine what the inside of these beautiful homes would look like. I had to balance the fine line between overdone kitschy beach house with a livable interpretation of what I loved about the Keys.
1. Start with a piece of art. The blues and touch of green are calming and energizing at the same time.
2. Set out to find unique accents, like this dancing starfish and green glass ball.
3. Keep it light and fun. I added a large hurricane lantern and an unexpected “okay” statue — they worked well together!
4. Add a few throw pillows. (They made me feel as though I was still on vacation!)
I may be back home in Connecticut, but somehow I feel like everything is going to be okay — smooth sailing ahead!
For more tropical eye candy, visit Key West Curb Appeal on my blog. Where is your favorite vacation spot?
Susan Jensen Smith is a Web Producer for Fine Gardening Magazine and a blogger at Your Home Only Better. She loves projects that solve décor problems for practical home enthusiasts and believes decorating should be fun! (Join her on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.)
You might also like:
- A Happy Kid's Bedroom Refresh
- Then & Now: How Has My Decorating Style Changed?
- What Do You Do When Your Kids' Stylescope Changes?